Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Holiday Trail Mix Recipe
My absolute favorite christmas movie that I love to watch every year is Disney's I'll Be Home For Christmas starring the adorable Jonathan Taylor Thomas. It is the perfect funny and heart-warming movie that speaks to the 90s kid in me. Most of the film takes place on the road as Jake (JTT) travels across the country to catch up with his girlfriend Allie (Jessica Biel), and so he can make it home in time to get his dad's Porsche. It inspired me to make a travel-friendly snack that you can take on the road while you're getting where you need to go for the holidays. You can package it up in a cup to sit in your cupholder as you drive across town, the state, or the country.
I love trail mix that has many textures and flavors. This mix combines cranberry with cheddar to make a tangy and salty party in your mouth. I also love the combination of crunchy, chewy, nutty, and crispy. The spicy peas add some excitement too! I have a thing for dried peas.
2 cups cheddar cheese popcorn
1 cup baked cheese crackers (like goldfish)
3/4 cup spicy dried peas
3/4 dried cranberries
1 cup whole raw walnuts
1 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread the walnuts on a cookie sheet and sprinkle the sea salt on top. Roast the walnuts in the oven for 6 minutes.
3. Allow the walnuts to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and carefully mix them with a large spoon until the ingredients are well dispersed. Add the cooled walnuts and discard the leftover salt. Mix a bit more.
5. To make the mix travel-friendly, pour it into 16 to 10 ounce cups, wrap the top with saran wrap. Add wrapping paper and a ribbon to make it giftable!