Friday, August 14, 2015
Sunny Side Up Egg in a Zucchini Nest Recipe
I learned the key to making a sunny side up egg, for me, is to cook the egg on medium heat and cover. The cover to traps the heat in. With the heat trapped, the top of the egg also gets cooked so it's not slimy. The key to this method, though, is that you have to be careful not to overcook the egg. If you cook it too long, you will lose the beautiful runny yolk which is the main joy of the sunny side up egg. Using this method, I made a delicious egg surrounded by a nest of zucchini slices, topped with some basic spices. The Sunny Side Up Egg in a Zucchini Nest recipe is simple and only requires 6 ingredients, so it is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
1 large zucchini
1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
A dash each of salt, pepper, and paprika
The ingredients above are for one serving. You can adjust the ingredients by multiplying it for how many people you need to feed. When you begin cooking, you will make one big nest with multiple eggs inside of it instead of a small one like in the pictures.
1. Rinse and slice the zucchini. Depending on the size of the zucchini, you may need to chop it in half the short way and slice the strips so they're not took long.
2. Heat oil on medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini strips carefully and cook them until they are just beginning to brown.
3. Place the zucchini strips around the edge of a smaller pan (size depends on how many eggs you're making). Lift the pan and swirl it slightly to let the oil from the zucchini cover the bottom of the pan for the egg to sit on.
5. Carefully crack the egg and pour it into the middle of the nest. Leave the heat on medium, cover the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. You should check the egg frequently and lower the heat if needed to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.
6. When the egg whites are no longer jiggling but the yolk is still runny, remove the egg nest from the heat source and top with spice.
7. Break open the yolk and enjoy!