Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Monte Cristo Sandwich with Basil Mayo
I often describe the monte cristo as a french toast sandwich, but that's not entirely correct. I don't use any cinnamon in the mixture that I coat my bread with. I suppose you could add some cinnamon and sugar into the egg mixture for a little something special, but I tend to enjoy savory sandwiches over sweet. The recipe below is for 1 sandwich so you can multiply it by however many sandwiches you want to make.
2 slices of your favorite bread
2 thin slices of ham
2 thin slices of turkey
1 slice of cooked bacon
2 slices of colby jack cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 large basil leaf, chopped
1. Mix egg(s) in a small bowl with a whisk until smooth. Add a dash of pepper to the egg.
2. Place the bread on a plate and add cheese and meat to make a sandwich.
3. Pour the egg mixture in a large, wide bowl and then place the sandwich with one side down. Let the sandwich sit in the egg for about 2 minutes and then carefully turn it to coat the other side with egg. Use toothpicks to keep the sandwich together if needed.
4. Heat the butter in a pan on medium until melted.
6. In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise with the basil well combined.
7. Place the sandwich and a spoonful of mayo on the plate to dip it as you eat. Enjoy!