Here's the set up: a toasty fire roaring in the background, a comfy chair with a soft blanket, some cheery Christmas music playing at just the right volume, and a cup of piping hot cocoa with a candy cane in it. This is the fantasy I imagined for a cup of Holly Jolly Hot Chocolate. In reality, I sat on a couch while watching Scandal and my dogs were all staring at me because I was drinking the hot cocoa. Not a bad scenario, but it was not the Christmas dream I had imagined.
Whichever way you decide to drink a cup of hot cocoa this holiday season, just like yourself relax for a moment and revel in the sweet decadence. It can be a busy time of year around the holidays, but we all deserve some quiet time. Try making this easy recipe, and then let yourself relax with your favorite book, TV show, or just the delicious sound of silence. Happy Holidays!
Holly Jolly Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1/2 Cup of milk
- 1/2 Cup of eggnog
- 1 Tbsp of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of Ultra Fine Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 peppermint or chocolate peppermint candy cane
1. Pour milk and eggnog into a cute, microwavable Christmas mug and then microwave it for about 1 minute. The time may vary depending on your microwave, so don't let it overheat, but it should be hot.
2. Carefully remove the mug from the microwave and slowly stir in the cocoa, sugar, and cinnamon with a fork or tiny whisk.
3. After you've mixed the ingredients together well, dip in a candy cane, stir it around a bit, and then sit by the fire to enjoy your cocoa.
I wish good health and joy to you and your family for this holiday season and for the new year!