I learned how to make gravy from watching my mother. She always started by making a roux (flour and melted butter or pan drippings from cooked meat) and then adding a liquid. This is such a simple yet important skill to master in cooking because a roux can be used as a base for many types of gravy or thicker soups. Thanks mom!
Sausage Breakfast Gravy Recipe
- 1 Lb Breakfast Sausage
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1 tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Cook sausage in a large pan over medium heat until no longer pink. Make sure to break the sausage up into small crumbles as it cooks.
- Remove sausage and place on plate. Set it aside.
- In the pan used to cook the sausage, melt the butter.
- Slowly stir in the flour until the mixture forms a dough.
Slowly stir in the milk, reduce heat to low.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and then stir in the pepper.
- Cook the gravy over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool and then eat as you wish!