It has been unusually warm in the Portland metro area the last few weeks, and we've all had to found our ways to make it more bearable. In our house, we've been avoiding using the oven and learning how to strategically open and close windows. I've also been brainstorming ideas for cold treats to beat the heat. I will tell you now about my experimental recipe that turned out different than I imagined, but still very cute and tasty. I call this recipe Frozen Cherry Berry Lemonade Treats. I will also include a recipe for Cherry Berry Lemonade below.
1 cup of sugar
6 Cups of water
1. Cut 4 lemons in half horizontally (the short way).
2. **IMPORTANT** Use a citrus juicer to extract the juice from the lemons. The citrus juicer is necessary to get out all of the seeds and pulp, and it also helps keep the cup shape of the skin. Now pour the juice into a blender.
3. Rinse all fruit, cut it in half and remove pits from the cherries.
4. Add the Berries and 1/2 cup of sugar to the blender and blend until the berries are no longer chunky.
5. Pour the berry mixture into a pitcher and stir in 2 cups of water.
6. Fill up each lemon skin half with the berry mixture.
7. Place the lemon treats on the top of cups with small openings, a cupcake tray, or an ice cube tray. This will keep the upright. Freeze the treats for at least 2 hours.
Use the remaining Cherry Berry Lemonade mixture to make a drink!
1. Run the berry mixture through a fine strainer, like a reusable coffee filter, into a pitcher.
2. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 juiced lemons, and 4 cups of water. Add more sugar to taste if needed. Enjoy and relax on the front porch like a fancy lady!