Hello. My name is Holly, and I love bacon. I am trying to appeal to all other members of the BEA (Baon Eaters Anonymous) with my delicious Bean with Bacon soup recipe. I came up with it on the fly because I had a pack of bacon, bag of beans, and free day to cook.
What you'll need:
16 oz pack of bacon
16 oz bag of dry beans (navy, white, pink, bean soup mix, etc.)
1 diced yellow onion
1 diced carrot
1/2 minced garlic
1 quart of chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1. Rinse beans in a colander under running water while removing any unwanted particle (ie ROCKS)
2. Place beans in a large pot and cover with about 2 in of water. Bring the beans and water to a boil and then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the beans to soak for 1 hour.
3. Cut up the bacon into 1 in long pieces and then cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and allow to cool on a paper towel on a large plate.
4. Add the diced carrot and onion to the pan with the bacon grease and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Once the bacon is cooled, break it up into the size that you desire for your soup.
6. Remove the onion and carrot from the bacon grease using a spoon with holes.
7. Add chicken broth, carrot, onion, bacon, and a dash of both salt and pepper to the bean pot and then stir the ingredients.
8. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower to simmer for 1 to 2 hours. Alternately, you could bring the soup to a boil and then place it in a 300 degree oven for 1 hour.
9. While the soup was cooking, I added two spoonfuls of bacon grease to it for flavor. This is completely up to you, but it made the soup taste amazingly bacon-y.
10. Top with a spoonful of sour cream and serve the soup with homemade scones or biscuits. (see first photo)